April 25, 2012

Baked Okra

Now, I'm from the South and one of my favorite foods was always fried okra.

In Washington, there ain't no meat and three's anywhere around here so that means Laura is making her own okra. I don't really like frying things because it's so unhealthy but mostly because I'm a whimp and I'm surprised I haven't burned the kitchen down yet.

SO tonight I decided to try it out. I bought a pork tenderloin at the store (my favorite is the Hormel Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin, which looks disgusting but IT IS SO GOOD!), grabbed some canned corn and then moved onto making the okra.

This obviously is not going to be as tasty as good ol' southern fried okra...or maybe it is, and I'm just biased... but It's a good healthier version of my favorite side dish. I figured I'd share it with you so that if you love Southern food like me, you can at least be a little healthier about it (and safer too!)


Baked Okra

1 bag of frozen cut okra (I used half of the bag)
Italian style bread crumbs
paprika
2 egg whites
salt & pepper

  • In a bowl, toss together bread crumbs, a few healthy shakes of paprika, and salt & pepper.
  • In a separate bowl, toss a handful of your cut okra in the egg whites until they are nicely coated.
  • Take each piece of okra and cover with your bread crumb mixture. I usually push each side into the bread crumbs so they stick to the egg whites.
  • Line your baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the okra on the baking sheet and make sure they aren’t touching one another.
  • Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, turning your okra halfway.
  • Crunch & enjoy!
*recipe via The Spotted Fox*


xo Laura

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good recipe to try..... I don't think I ever had okra... but willing to test it out. THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love okra!!! You know it's a Southern staple. I definitly want to try this (healthier) baked version though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am obsessed with okra. my mom seriously buys me a can every year for christmas. that and baby corns. strange, but amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, these are actually pretty good. I didn't think they'd be worth eating because I mean...what is okra without being fried, right? haha but it was actually really good. You can spice it up however you want!

    You're welcome, guys. Hope you love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have actually been trying to figure out ways to cook okra lately. I definitely want to try this recipe sometime this summer!

    ReplyDelete